Friday, December 16, 2005

I believe in political correctness...

Lately there has been news stories about government offices being attacked for displaying Christmas decorations, because it offends non-Christians. I think this is wrong. I work in a government office and if I weren't so lazy, I would have decorated. I am a Christian, so my decorations would most likely be the typical tree and lights. Anyone who chose to disagree with my choice of decor could stuff it. I believe that it wouldn't be so much a matter of seperation of church and state, as a matter of my right to decorate my workspace (i.e. this office) any way I see fit. After all, I'm the one who has to look at these walls day in and day out.

This being said, I am kind of pissed at all people who are going around saying things like, "I'm not going to say Happy Holidays, because it's CHRISTMAS! Christ-mas! Christ is the whole reason for this season!" Yes, Christ is the reason for Christmas, but these jackasses are forgetting that people also celebrate Chanuka, Kwanzaa, and other holidays. And to be frank, I always thought that the term "Happy Holidays" included New Year's Day, which isn't a religious holiday anyway and therefore no one should be offended!

As a Christian, I try to send out cards that specifically say "Happy Holidays!" because I want to INCLUDE other religions/cultures. Not because I'm afraid of offending anyone! Maybe I'm the only person that was taught TOLERANCE when I was growing up?

I am so sick of people wearing their political sensitivies on their sleeves. Be accepting, people. Life is hard enough as it is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

You tell 'em girlfriend!

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home